Friday, December 12, 2014

My Advent




All of my Catholic life, all 35 years, I have learned and listened to others about what Advent is supposed to be.  I hear and read about quiet times.  Prayer times.  Listening to God times.  And although I do spend time each morning in prayer and reading scripture, my Advent is anything but quiet.  In fact I think as it approaches, the message becomes full speed ahead!

I was visiting with 2 young mothers at my grandson's school.  We meet each afternoon for pick up.  They are so cute and we just jabber away to each other.  We were talking about Advent and what our impressions were.  All nodded when the above expectations were mentioned.

But later in the day, it caught me.  Who really ever said that Advent had a particular course?  My Advent has been spent taking care of grandchildren while their mother was ill with the flu.  Taking grandchildren for flu shots so they wouldn't get the flu!  Doing homework and giving baths so tired mothers wouldn't have to after a long day at work.  Going on field trips to build memories.  My Advent has been full of what it should be for me and I am grateful beyond measure to be able to be these hands for my daughters.

There was a time not long ago when I was still angry over the loss of my job.  Angry because of the loss of income and especially the loss of health insurance.  But as always, God's wisdom is sovereign and he knew where he wanted me.  This is my Advent.

1 comment: